With the rapid global virus outbreak happening nowadays, everyone should commit to more stringent health measures to protect every family member from sickness. Aside from strengthening the immune system and maintaining a healthy lifestyle, another way you can safeguard your health is by getting a humidifier.
A humidifier is an electrical device that elevates moisture when placed in a particular room or building. It can also be connected to heating, ventilation, or air conditioning system to provide humidity to an entire house. It comes in two kinds, the console and the portable one. The former comes in a large size and meant to humidify a whole house while the latter is best suited for people who are always traveling. The following are the most common types of humidifiers:
- Evaporators – these units are powered by fans that expel humidity and provides moisture with a filter.
- Steam vaporizers – these are portable humidifiers that are electrically-powered that heats and then cools water before releasing it to the air.
- Central humidifiers – this type doesn’t emit steam and connected to your home’s air conditioning or heating system.
- Ultrasonic humidifiers – this is the recommended type if you have children as it produces a soothing cool mist although a warm mist version is also available.
- Impeller humidifiers – this is another child-friendly type as it emits a cool mist and therefore no burn risks at all.
Here’s a list of the health benefits that you can get by having a humidifier at home:
1. It keeps your skin and hair moist.
Having a humidifier at home regulates humidity and the added moisture helps to keep the skin and hair well-hydrated especially during winter months.
2. Humidifiers prevent snoring.
Snoring results from dryness in the mouth and throat area and having a humidifier can help address this concern. The moisture in the air soothes the mouth’s tissues during sleep allowing you to snooze comfortably and a lesser tendency to snore.
3. It stops the spread of airborne viruses.
Increased humidity in the air prevents airborne viruses from causing havoc because it can’t float around due to the moisture. As a result, using a humidifier can prevent sickness like influenza and this has been backed by recent studies as well.
4. It eases dry cough.
Having a humidifier at home is a life-saver especially if you’re suffering from dry cough. The regulated air humidity allows moisture to your respiratory system resulting in the release of phlegm. Home Gadgets experts also agree that having a humidifier is beneficial if you’re suffering from bronchitis and asthma.
5. It wards off allergy symptoms.
Just as humidifiers prevent snoring, it prevents allergies as well since it soothes the nasal passages and the throat muscles.
Getting a humidifier for your home yields many health advantages as it regulates air moisture. Just make sure that humidity is maintained between 30% to 50% to prevent the growth of mold and bacteria. Regular cleaning is highly recommended. Always remember, it’s a home remedy so if health symptoms persist, be sure to visit your doctor right away.