Most folks don’t realize that mineral deficiencies make them crave junk food. They’re only aware of the common causes of food cravings like hunger, food addiction and low blood glucose levels.
If your cravings don’t end after eating the foods you crave, you may have mineral deficiencies. And different deficiencies trigger cravings for different foods.
Below are foods most people crave and the mineral deficiencies that cause these cravings.
1. Chocolate cravings: If you find yourself craving chocolate all the time your body probably needs magnesium. Research shows that low magnesium levels cause chocolate cravings. Eat magnesium-rich foods like spinach, citrus fruits, and nuts.
2. High-fat or oily food cravings: Calcium deficiency makes us crave high-fat foods. Milk, cheese, broccoli, and turnip greens are great sources of calcium.
3. Sugar cravings: Sugar or sweet cravings can be triggered by different deficiencies. They include, Sulphur, carbon, chromium, phosphorus, and tryptophan deficiency. Foods rich in these minerals include fish, broccoli, poultry, liver, raisins, eggs, sweet potatoes and cranberries.
4. Bread cravings: Nitrogen deficiency is known to cause bread or toast cravings. You can fight these cravings by eating nuts, fish, and nuts.
5. Ice cravings: Craving ice all the time may mean you don’t have enough iron in the body. Foods to eat – meat, green veggies, fish, and black cherries.
6. Coffee or tea cravings: Craving either of these could mean you have iron, sodium, phosphorous, and/ or Sulphur deficiency. To end these cravings eat chicken, greens, garlic, onions, red peppers, nuts and legumes.
7. Carbonated drinks cravings: This could mean you have calcium deficiency, so increase intake of calcium-rich foods.
8. Craving burned foods: This can be cause by low amounts of carbon in the body. Eat lots of fruits to eliminate this craving.
9. Acidic food cravings: Magnesium deficiency can cause acidic food cravings. Eat nuts, seeds, legumes and fruits to fight off these cravings.
10. Salty food cravings: Cravings salty foods may mean your body lacks chloride. Fight salty food cravings with sea salt, fish, and raw goat milk.